NOTICE

This site comprises documentation of my contact and interaction with Virginia State Police Special Agent (Anthony) Tony Gattuso -- up until the agency he's employed by forbid him to see me. Posts are in chronological order; newest additions are on the last page.

Touché

I read the earliest email he’d titled “Speaking of cameras….” puzzled.

What is this about cameras?

I knew Tony, as adroit as he was, wouldn’t randomly bring something up; he always had a reason for writing any given thing to me. Everything he provided, or didn’t provide, was all carefully crafted.

Method to his madness.

I loaded up Google Images and pasted “Canon Powershot A5” in the search box. I glanced at the first few results. Huh. Is that maybe a new gadget he got?

I returned to Gmail, moving on to his second missive under the same subject. Using his correction, I harked back to Google Images and deposited “Canon Powershot A510” into the little white rectangle.

One look at the foremost result sent goosebumps surging across my every inch of skin. Oooooh myyyyy God. My heart pounding, I leapt from my chair, ran to the end table and ripped open my laptop sheath -- which also held my camera case. With shaky hands, I pulled out the device I most commonly utilize to take photographs. I blanched. Clutched in my trembling fingers was a Canon Powershot A510.

How? How does he know what kind of camera I have? I was rocked by… I don’t want to say “fear” because I didn’t believe I was in danger. It’s difficult to explain. It was a peculiar emotion. The sensation was more like queasy adrenaline-ridden awareness of vulnerability. But, again, I didn’t feel threatened. Seems realizing you’re not invincible has powerful consequences, even when you’re well-aware you aren’t going to be hurt or killed.

My thoughts instantly bounced to the many policemen I’ve mocked using my I HeArTE JADE site. Is this what they experience when they see privileged personal information I’ve posted about them on the ‘net? Or when they grasp how narrowly they avoided showing up in a picture I published?

Dissimilar to members of Law Enforcement, I wasn’t going to react with unnecessary panic to somebody who meant me no harm. I was actually quite thrilled there was an officer out there who, whether intentionally or not, had beaten me at one of my own games.